grub-devel

Re: A _good_ and valid use for TPM

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: A _good_ and valid use for TPM
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 20:59:20 +0100

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 03:14:07AM +0200, Alex Besogonov wrote:
>>> Not if we first measure the MBR. It can be done without any
>>> TPM-specific code in the MBR if I'm not very mistaken.
>> Could you elaborate on that?
>> E.g. where do you measure the MBR from?
> MBR is automatically measured by the TPM module, it requires no
> intervention from GRUB.

Well, that is true, but for GRUB to measure all of its own stages
it gets quite complicated.  Overall, from a technical POV it looks
like a lousy approach.  It makes a lot more sense to simply have the
firmware load GRUB as an executable image and measure that IMO.

You can do that easily when you're in a legacy-free environment.

--
Robert Millan