grub-devel

Re: Help with Grub2

From: BandiPat
Subject: Re: Help with Grub2
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:05:09 -0500

Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
BandiPat wrote:
Compiled and installed grub2.  Remove LILO from MBR.  Ran grub-install
/dev/sda.  Run grub-setup /dev/sda.  Ran update-grub to let it create a
grub.cfg file.  So far, so good and checking everything, it all looks
great according to the instructions I have been able to find.  By the
way, I have done a lot of researching these past 2 days!  That's how I
came to find this mail list, but wanted to wait to finish my testing
before using it.

you should only need to use grub-install and update-grub (or grub-mkconfig)

Running grub-setup after grub-install without matching arguments given
by grub-install to grub-setup it can create non-working setup.

So commands needed are:

grub-install
update-grub (or grub-mkconfig, or manually create grub.cfg)

Now if you get stuck to rescue console you probably want to start
needed for booting. I think we should write something about rescue
console to wiki.

Here is what probably happened:

When you issues grub-setup manually you probably forgot to specify
filesystems and such so grub cannot load natively from MBR your system.

As grub-setup is advanced tool it should not be used manually, please
try with only grub-install and see if it help.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion and I do wish it had been that easy, but I still get the grub rescue prompt only. If I try to do "insmod normal", I get "error: out of partition".

Here is my lsmod results:
_chain      1
biodisk         1
pc          1
xfs         1
fshelp      1

That appears to be getting most of the needed modules, but again, I'm new to this, so not sure. I only used "grub-install /dev/sda" and then did "update-grub /dev/sda" to get my grub.cfg file. All that seems to produce good results, no error messages. One time I did grub-install wrong and got an error message about the core.img. I think that was "grub-install "(hd0,2)", which give me that error, but using /dev/sda worked as it should.

Any other info you need, I'll try to supply, but I continue to remain baffled. :-\

Thanks,
Pat