grub-devel

Re: Problem with fonts in different width

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Re: Problem with fonts in different width
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:06:56 -0800

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 01:53:16 +0800
Bean <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Unicode characters are split into two sizes, 16x16 and 16x8, and are
> stored in different files, for example:
>
> f16.pcf.gz
> -efont-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-160-75-75-c-160-iso10646-1
>
> h16.pcf.gz
> -efont-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-160-75-75-c-80-iso10646-1
>
> They can be converted to f16.pf2 and h16.pf2. However, only one font
> can be active at at time. So if we use both full and half width
> characters, some of them is not displayed properly. The pf2 format
> seems to allow different font widths. Perhaps the converter should
> allow multiple input, so that we can merge the two fonts into one pf2
> ?

This would be fairly simple to do.  The font would then effectively be
a proportional-width font since the new font engine+gfxterm does not
handle "bi-width" fonts in a character-cell environment.

I try adding the multiple font input feature when I have a chance.
Vesa wants the convert re-implemented in C, though, which will take
some time.

Regards,
Colin