grub-devel

Re: I'm a newb, looking for guidance

From: Jay Sullivan
Subject: Re: I'm a newb, looking for guidance
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 10:19:45 -0500

Okay! I realized now that I would like to install the newest version of grub2 to a USB drive.  Can anyone recommend to me the best way to do this?  This seems like a good idea since if it fails to boot, I can easily fallback to my harddrive's bootloader.

I'd like to point out that I'm currently having trouble getting started with grub2 development.  The reason is that I currently have grub-legacy installed to my system, and I can't figure out how to get grub2 working properly and I have a feeling that they are conflicting.  I have downloaded GRUB-1.96, and configured and successfully ran makefile, but if I run make-install will I overwrite grub-legacy? If not, how can I access the grub2 shell?  I've attempted to install it but /usr/local/bin/grub still holds grub-legacy.  Do I chainload core.img? Am I doing this whole thing wrong?  Thanks and I'm sorry if I'm asking stupid questions =)