grub-devel

Multiboot2 header

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Multiboot2 header
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 21:36:27 +0100

The Multiboot2 draft says a Multiboot2 header must be included in the OS
image.  However, our code assumes (in code itself and in comments) that for
MB2 this is optional.

As a consequence, if you feed GRUB's multiboot loader any ELF, it will
attempt to load it.  I think this is very confusing for those developing
a Multiboot _1_ OS.  If they happen to make a mistake and put the MB1 header
too high or unaligned, GRUB won't tell them about it but instead fail in
a very confusing way.

So I assume (I'd like to!) that the correct one is the draft, and it's the
code that should be changed to reject executables that don't have either MB1
or MB2 headers?

--
Robert Millan