grub-devel

Re: too many commands, "help" output rolls of screen

From: Andy Goth
Subject: Re: too many commands, "help" output rolls of screen
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:00:58 -0500 (CDT)

address@hidden wrote:
> The top two lines of
> grub> help
> output will roll off the standard sized console. Please remove some
> commands so there aren't so many that they roll off the screen.

You should be able to remove testing commands (like "hello" and "play") from
the build.  At the moment I don't have the ability to research how.

I recently found a related problem that I'll post more information on after
doing some research.  It's the opposite issue: scrolling doesn't always happen
when I want it to.

> P.S., What if I forget my password and I cannot login to my machine?

Presuming Linux, you can add "init=/bin/sh" to the kernel command line.  This
will give you a shell without asking for a password.  From this shell you can
edit your password file.

I sometimes use this trick to give myself an account. :^)  Seriously, if you
don't password-protect your GRUB or LILO prompt (or anything else that edits
the kernel command line), your system is open to anyone who has access to the
keyboard.  Then again, unless you take extraordinary measures, your system is
open to anyone with a screwdriver and physical access to the machine.

Warning 1: If support for your keyboard isn't compiled into the kernel, you
won't be able to type, since the init scripts (which would load modules and do
other configuration) will be bypassed.  I suggest using a PS/2 keyboard in this
case.

Warning 2: You won't have job control, so Ctrl-C and so on won't work.  Issue a
command that takes a long time to complete, and you will have to wait.  Issue a
command that never completes, and you will have to reboot.  I suggest running
screen so as to give yourself a workaround.

Warning 3: The root filesystem might be mounted read-only.  Test this by using
touch to create a file, then use ls to see if the file was created.  If not,
type "mount" to get a listing of filesystems, then remount / with the device
name taken from mount's output and the -oremount,rw option.  Or add "rw" to the
kernel command line, removing "ro" if it is present.

Warning 4: Initrd scripts might change everything.

> Could you supply ed(1) in the commands perhaps?

I could be wrong, but I don't think grub was, is, or ever will be meant to
modify filesystems.  Oh wait, I think it can be configured to remember the
selected menu item as a new default, but I don't know how that's implemented.

--
Andy Goth | http://andy.junkdrome.org/
address@hidden,openverse.com}