grub-devel

Re: [RFC] rename update-grub to update-grubcfg

From: Felix Zielcke
Subject: Re: [RFC] rename update-grub to update-grubcfg
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 19:50:19 +0200

Am Donnerstag, den 04.09.2008, 20:38 +0300 schrieb Vesa Jääskeläinen:
> > If you are going to rename it, please use a name starting with "grub",
> > not with "update".  Debian is free to provide a wrapper starting with
> > "update".
>
> How about grub-update-config ?

I have now read over the old thread, I was just too lazy first and it
was half a year old anyway.
Okuji suggested grub-update-config too.

Personally as a user I would still prefer update-grub* and even
install-grub
Because you are update'ing grub's config and installing grub
grub-mkdevicemap and grub-probe make sense that way
make device map for grub
probe for a grub device

Though yes for consistency everything grub-* would be better.
It's just like Robert already said on the old thread, Debian people know
it as update-grub from grub-legacy.

So there should be some update-grub wrapper/stub for a while, with a
hint that it's deprecated now.

For Debian it doestn't matter much how it gets changed, the problem is
more the change itself ;)
And I share Robert's opinion, that we (as in: the 2 active GRUB Debian
Maintainers) shouldn't diverge much from upstream (i.e. you ;) like it
was done on grub-legacy.

--
Felix Zielcke