grub-devel

Re: GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_NPAGE/PPAGE codes

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_NPAGE/PPAGE codes
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 15:03:10 +0200

Hi,

On Aug/23/2008, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:

> > Let's define: NPAGE (next page) = PGDN (PG DOWN). PPAGE (previous page)
> > = PGUP (PG UP).  Is this assumption correct?
> >
> > There is quite much places in Grub2 code that defines:
> > #define GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_NPAGE          0x4900
> > #define GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_PPAGE          0x5100
> >
> > Googling for these codes, I've found that they are usually defined in
> > opposite way:
> > #define     KEY_PGUP   0x4900
> > #define     KEY_PGDN   0x5100
> >
> > All other codes matches.

checking the Grub's ChangeLog (not Grub2):
------
2003-03-19  Yoshinori K. Okuji  <address@hidden>

        From Adam Lackorzynski <address@hidden>:
        * stage2/shared.h (KEY_NPAGE): Changed to 0x5100.
        (KEY_PPAGE): Changed to 0x4900.
------
It defines PPAGE as 0x4900 and NPAGE as 0x5100. This is the change that I also
want to do, so looks fine.

> > If this is correct, a bit later I will prepare a patch to swap 0x4900
> > and 0x5100 where it's needed.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Or me..  couldn't we just use GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_PAGE_UP /
> GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_PAGE_DOWN or something like that. NPAGE or PPAGE seems
> a bit weird. Then there is no need to hassle this next time when the
> issue is at hand :)

Then I would also change GRUB_TERM_PPAGE and GRUB_TERM_NPAGE names to
GRUB_TERM_PAGE_UP and GRUB_TERM_PAGE_DOWN (from include/grub/term.h, to be
consistent between GRUB_TERM_ and GRUB_CONSOLE_). And the places in the code
that this appears.

Note: in Spanish Page Up key is "RePag" that it means something like
English speaker and in his/her language it's called "Previous Page" and not
"Page Up". Here I'm just guessing.

So:
a) the values are swapped. I will send a patch to swap GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_NPAGE
and GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_PPAGE in all places.

b) what you (people in general) think about changing the name from
GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_NPAGE to GRUB_CONSOLE_KEY_PAGE_DOWN? (and PAGE_UP) and also
the GRUB_TERM_? If we want to change, do you prefer that I change it in the
same patch or different patch than changing the values?

Thanks for your helping,

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x17756391
        http://pinux.info