grub-devel

Re: [RFC] Platform information services

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: [RFC] Platform information services
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:03:15 +0300

Isaac Dupree wrote:
> if you rely on a property of the kernel, you should document it
> somewhere in the kernel, and document everyone (hopefully) who relies on
> that property; or the users could have some symbol in the source that
> you can search for.  It doesn't have to be a function that takes up any
> actual kernel disk-space.

Function name is kinda good symbol. Magic numbers without defines are
not used really on GRUB 2 code base, if they are then there is omission
and that should be fixed. Every good editor allows you to allow fast
walking on source code based on symbols.

But I am against documenting into kernel who use what. It is doomed to
be outdated easily and that information is easily available when using
decent editor.

Of course you should document what code does.