grub-devel

Problem booting grub2: can't find fd1

From: Sander Marechal
Subject: Problem booting grub2: can't find fd1
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 21:56:04 +0200

Hello,

I have a brand new server: A Dell PowerEdge T105 Quad Core AMD64. I
installed it with Debian Lenny, which installed Lilo as a bootloader. I
installed grub2 manually:

grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub

When I boot I get dropped into a rescue shell because grub can't find
fd1. The output of `ls`:

(linuxvg-boot) (linuxvg-root) (linuxvg-swap) (hd0) (hd0,1) (hd0,2)
(hd0,3) (fd0) (fd1)

Thing is, my server has no floppy drive. It has one had disk containing
two small Dell partitions and a big partition that is the PV for my LVM
volume group "linuxvg". And it contains a DVD-ROM drive. No floppy
drive. I even disabled the floppy controller in the BIOS.

I am able to boot Debian by entering the boot commands manually:

> insmod linux
> linux (linuxvg-boot)/vmlinuz-2.6.25-2-amd64
root=/dev/mapper/linuxvg-root ro
> initrd (linuxvg-boot)/initrd.img-2-6-25-2-amd64
> boot

What can I do to fix this issue?

Yesterday on #grub marco_g suggested that I try grub-legacy to see it it
has the same fd1 problem. I can't install grub-legacy because it does
not support having /boot on LVM, so I will need to test grub-legacy with
a rescue image. Unfortunately I don't have a floppy drive so I can't try
the grub legacy disk image supplied by the grub-disk package. I do have
grub-rescue-cd but that's grub2, not grub-legacy.

Does anyone have a grub-legacy rescue CD iso I can use to see if
grub-legacy has the same problem as grub2?

Kind regards,

--
Sander Marechal