grub-devel

Re: RFC: conf/i386.rmk

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: RFC: conf/i386.rmk
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:58:12 +0300

Pavel Roskin wrote:
On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 21:30 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 09:28:39PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking that we have quite a bit of duplicate stuff in each of the 4
i386 ports (cpuid, pci, serial, etc) that could well live in a
firmware-agnostic conf/i386.rmk file.

This would simplify things and make them easier to maintain.  What do you
think?
Btw, I think grub-emu could go there too.  The only arch-specific thing in
it AFAICS is cpuid.mod.

I tried moving more stuff to common.rmk many times but gave up every
time.  One of the reasons is that the sparc64 support is very
out-of-date and doesn't use common.rmk at all.  I cannot even test it
(well, I haven't tries hard).

If sparc64 support is out of date and the maintainer is nowhere to be seen then I think you can put that support to graveyard until someone comes up to update it. Putting all common stuff to every platform to common.rmk is a good way and the only way (in my opinion) to go forward.