grub-devel

Re: Still unable to install grub 2 on my lvm setup

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Still unable to install grub 2 on my lvm setup
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 13:46:05 -0400

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 19:26 +0200, address@hidden
wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:05:33 +0800, Bean <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > You need to use the lzma patch, which reduces the size of core.img.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try... But I'd still like
> to have an answer to the following question : where the hell does
> grub want to store that image ? Looking at the lvm specs, there's
> barely 1 or 2KiB of free space just after the boot sector. The lzma
> algorithm might be very good at compression but I doubt it will be
> enough...

If the first partition starts on cylinder 0 (which is the most common),
it starts on head 1.  All space on head 0, cylinder 0 is available.  The
maximal number on sectors per track is 63, and that's what is normally
used (old drives may use less sectors).  The first sector is the MBR.
That gives 62 sectors available to the bootloader, i.e. 31k.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin