grub-devel

Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2

From: Javier Martín
Subject: Re: grub-probe detects ext4 wronly as ext2
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 16:34:56 +0200

El vie, 04-07-2008 a las 22:11 +0800, Bean escribió:
> About the flags, no one can guarantee that the incompat bit would
> result in an unreadable fs. The journal is a good example. Even with
> journal enabled, we can read from it most of the time.
The journal: EXT3_FEATURE_COMPAT_HAS_JOURNAL (R/W compatibility)
The btree: EXT2_FEATURE_RO_COMPAT_BTREE_DIR (R/O compatibility)
Can you grasp the difference between these back-compatible additions to
the filesystem and incompatible changes that break readers like the
EXT2_FEATURE_INCOMPAT_META_BG lazy inode writing I mentioner earlier?

> Note that the
> /boot directory is rarely touched, and we sync twice when modifying
> it. You may argue that there is still a chance of failure. Well, there
> certainly is, but should we disable install to ext3 ?

No, because the journal flag has read-write compatibility: we are
guaranteed to be able to mess with the FS with our current driver.