grub-devel

Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 23:31:16 +0200

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 08:37:43PM +0800, Bean wrote:

> But do we really need those space ?

The typical use case where space is a PITA is boot an LVM system without a
separate /boot partition.  There we don't have the ressort of using a
blocklist (which is already bad), so embedding core.img is mandatory, but
at the same time, we have to load lvm.mod in (possibly raid.mod as well),
and then you see where I'm going...

For example, with current CVS:

$ ./grub-mkimage -d . biosdisk pc ext2 lvm -o /tmp/core.img && du -b
/tmp/core.img
30511   /tmp/core.img

$ ./grub-mkimage -d . biosdisk pc ext2 lvm raid -o /tmp/core.img && du -b
/tmp/core.img
32940   /tmp/core.img

The first is close to the limit (32256 B) and the second surpasses it, so
boot from LVM on RAID with DOS label and ext2 is a use case we can't support
right now.

> I think lzo is working fine, we
> should avoid switching unless there is a good reason to do so.

ISTR Okuji didn't like it;  can't remember why.

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)