grub-devel

Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [RFC] split floppy support off biosdisk
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:15:35 +0200

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 02:30:38PM +0800, Bean wrote:

> The fd and hd device share many code, separating them is not a good
> idea.

If code duplication is a problem, we could link the same code staticaly for
each module.  Size of biosdisk module is an issue, because it's always used
in core.img, but size of floppy module isn't, because it's never needed for
bootstrap.

> Perhaps what we need is a way to optionally disable the floppy
> device, for example, with a variable such as no_floppy.

But that makes biosdisk bigger, not smaller :-(

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)