grub-devel

Re: macbook EFI experiences

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: macbook EFI experiences
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 21:26:26 +0200

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 12:29:59PM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> It's fixed now for my hardware, Intel's new video driver in Xorg 7.3
> doesn't need any BIOS hacks or anything, I believe.  Anyway, I'll find
> out if it works just as soon as I manage to actually get into
> linux-kernel under EFI, so *if* it doesn't break, then I can keep using
> that and avoid (1) the unnecessary and potentially buggy CSM, (2) the
> hassles of installing a pc-bios-style bootloader on the header of one of
> my partitions. (and (3) be able to report bugs (in whatever software is
> affected) that happen later on when doing it that way.)  It can't hurt
> to try...

You don't need to use the header of one of your partitions.  You can use
the MBR or even have a dedicated partition for core.img.  Then you can install
the rest of GRUB in a filesystem that's not case unsensitive! ;-P

Btw what's a CSM?

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What good is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)