grub-devel

Re: macbook EFI experiences

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: macbook EFI experiences
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:29:59 -0400

Bean wrote:
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Isaac Dupree
<address@hidden> wrote:
Robert Millan wrote:
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 10:42:02AM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
okay, I just tried a few days ago's grub2 CVS without patches for i386
efi, because presumably if that doesn't work for me then nothing else will
either (though it's possible that a working x86-64 would work better for
this particular EFI firmware, I suppose)
Actually, I think it's better supported via grub-pc.  In BIOS we have a
workaround for the keyboard bug.  Was there any other kind of trouble?
No it's not.  I can't use the keyboard on BIOS here, except sometimes for
one single keystroke or more if I get lucky (true for linux CD booting, not
just grub2); but the keyboard works fine on EFI and always has.  (Or was
that workaround you mentioned in grub2 introduced sometime in the last year,
in which case I should upgrade my grub2-bios installation?)

This problem should be gone by now, try the cvs version ?

okay, I guess I will try it

BTW, I think you should use bios if you can. I remember seeing some
post about the video driver needs video bios for initialization. In
pure EFI mode, it will fallback to frame buffer mode which is slower.
I don't know if this have been fixed by now.

It's fixed now for my hardware, Intel's new video driver in Xorg 7.3 doesn't need any BIOS hacks or anything, I believe. Anyway, I'll find out if it works just as soon as I manage to actually get into linux-kernel under EFI, so *if* it doesn't break, then I can keep using that and avoid (1) the unnecessary and potentially buggy CSM, (2) the hassles of installing a pc-bios-style bootloader on the header of one of my partitions. (and (3) be able to report bugs (in whatever software is affected) that happen later on when doing it that way.) It can't hurt to try...

-Isaac