grub-devel

Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?

From: Bean
Subject: Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 22:37:52 +0800

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Robert Millan <address@hidden> wrote:
> gnu-efi is licensed under GPL 2 or later.  There's no problem linking GRUB
> with it.

> Thourhg, if it's just a binary file converter license compatibility would
> probably not be required anyway.

It's nice to know, althought I don't need it anymore. gnu-efi is quite
simple, I can use the part I need in grub directly.

> Why not just drop the -m32 and always build "native" images?  So if you
> build the i386-efi target on i386, you get a 32-bit image and if you build
> it on x86_64 you get a 64-bit one?

There is situation where we need to build 32-bit image in 64-bit
machine, or vice verse. So it's better to make it separated.

> How about ia64?  Does the situation improve there?  Tristan Gingold (CCed)
> was in the process of merging his ia64 port of GRUB, and toolchain support
> for ia64-PE was one of the stumbling blocks.

I manage to hack grub-mkimage to convert from elf64 to PE32+, I think
it's similar in ia64. The tricky part is relocation, other is just
quite straight forward.

--
Bean