grub-devel

Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: x86_64 EFI support for grub2 ?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 08:06:33 -0400

Bean wrote:
[rEFIt] "Version 0.10 (June 14, 2007):
   * Supports the new "Santa Rosa" generation of MacBook Pro models.
   * All binaries built as "fat" 32-bit and 64-bit. (May not work on
non-Apple EFI firmwares.)" http://refit.sourceforge.net/history.html

That must be it. I can't use refit < 0.10.

hmm. in which case, I wonder, it may only be possible for me to test 32-bits EFI images -- but we'll see. That could still be a useful thing to be able to test.

But we (GRUB) aren't refit -- we just need to know that we can't use that
kind of multi-arch image to support all x86 and x86-64 EFI platforms.

Yes, we can't create multi-arch image. We need to maintain them
seperately, i386-efi and x86_64-efi.

are we unable to (because refit uses the MacOS X toolchain (?) and we don't), or we just have no interest in doing so (because installers can have the smarts of figuring out which arch the firmware expects for the image?)
?

-Isaac