grub-devel

Higher resolution timers

From: Colin D Bennett
Subject: Higher resolution timers
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 09:33:54 -0700

To implement a nice GUI with some animations, it will be important to
have a timer with a better resolution than 1/18 second (which appears
to be the current GRUB timer resolution on the PC).

What would be the best way to do this? Possibilities that I am aware of
are:
 * RDTSC instruction (must calibrate with RTC at startup?)
 * HPET (complex to use?)
 * RTC (can we set the timer interrupt rate to >18 Hz?)

Does anyone have any thoughts on these options?

I think that using the TSC (w/ RDTSC instruction) and calibrating it
with a quick 2-3 RTC tick loop at startup might be the easiest option.

Regards,
Colin