grub-devel

Re: retiring device.map

From: Bean
Subject: Re: retiring device.map
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 01:39:47 +0800

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 1:22 AM, Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 15:03 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
>  > On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 11:43:48AM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
>  > > On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 17:18 +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
>  > >
>  > > > I completely agree.  How do we go about this?  First of all we need
> support
>  > > > for labels, right?
>  > >
>  > > We have it already in the "search" command.  Of course, there is always
>  > > room for improvement.  GRUB doesn't recognize Linux swap labels.  It
>  > > cannot set root to, say, partition 3 on a disk where partition 1 has the
>  > > given label.
>  >
>  > Sorry, I was confusing labels with UUIDs.  The problem with labels is
> they're
>  > not garanteed to be unique, right?  So maybe we need support for UUIDs..
>
>  Right.

Yes, UUID can be useful, it's better to add it to grub2.

UUID itself is quite easy to get, but the question is how to integrate
it with the existing disk layer. I'm thinking of the following three
implementation:

1, Add a function pointer to fs structure to retrieve UUID, just like label.
2. Add a data pointer to the disk structure, the fs driver allocated
memory when it found UUID.
3. Use a separate module to handle UUID. fs driver that found UUID can
add disk to uuid mapping using exported service.

Would someone comment on the ideas ?

--
Bean