grub-devel

Re: ata.c and sata disks

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: ata.c and sata disks
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 17:05:53 +0200

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 06:59:54PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 19:35 +0200, Marco Vega Trucillo wrote:
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > I tried to modify ata.c simply add more ioaddress (I attach the diff file
> > from 1.96 version), and it work and recognize
> > my four sata disk on different pc.
>
> I think it's generally considered unsafe to probe addresses above 0x3ff
> without making sure they belong to a compatible device.  The device
> should be found on the PCI bus, and enabled if necessary.

Marco Gerards sent a patch to add PCI support to ata.c, but it had some
bugs that nobody has looked into yet.

Marco (Vega), if you want to help us, you could look at his patch (it's in
the list archives) and see what needs to be done with it?

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)