grub-devel

Re: Google's Summer of Code 2008 / GRUB 2

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Google's Summer of Code 2008 / GRUB 2
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 20:13:25 +0300

Marco Gerards wrote:
Vesa Jääskeläinen <address@hidden> writes:
First of all, the code.  I think it would be a good idea if I would
send in patches for my code so it will be immediately integrated into
GRUB 2.  This would work as everyone will make sure that this code
will not be touched by anyone and patches to this will be ignored.
Otherwise I can work in a branch, my own bzr repository or whatever.
I hope I will get feedback on this :-)
Please remember that after GSoC coding period is over you have to
upload your code to Google Code as per:

12. Student uploads completed code to a Google Code hosted project.

http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_program_works

Yes, I know.  All I upload has to be my code.  But working in CVS is
not a problem, as long as nobody touches my code.  Otherwise I have to
keep it separate and merge at the end of the project.  So I can post
small pieces of code and merge often, or merge at once at the end.
What is preferred?

Although we have people that would like to test out your code while in development, lets keep it clean for every party what is yours and what is not. So use git, bzr, or what ever tool and try to keep in sync with HEAD. In meanwhile you can provide patches or tarballs of your build if people want to test it out.

When GSoC is completed then we will merge your code. Anyway, I think it will be quite isolated in yours case.

And also what Robert said about stability...

Thanks,
Vesa Jääskeläinen