grub-devel

Re: Summer of Code mailing lists and ideas

From: Marco Gerards
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 17:31:27 +0100

Robert Millan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I checked in a few of ideas in the GRUB web site (also updated it removed some
> obsolete stuff).  Would be nice if you can review them and comment/improve
> before mentioning them to address@hidden  They are:
>
> USB support
> ATA (parallel and serial)
> Accessing encrypted partitions
> Localisation infrastructure

Great!  I have written two applications I will submit next week.  Here
are both abstracts:

Network support

During Summer of Code 2008 I will (when I am accepted) implement
networking support for GRUB 2.  This will make it possible to netboot
from GRUB 2.  In order to make this possible I will have to implement
a TCP/IP stack and some GRUB commands.  The following features will be
implemented as part of this project:

- Ethernet
- IPv4
- UDP
- DHCP
- TFTP
- ifconfig
- Multiplatform and easy to port
- Debuggable in grub-emu using TUN/TAP

USB Support
During Summer of Code 2008 I will (when I am accepted) implement USB
support for GRUB 2.  After finishing this project, GRUB 2 will support
(at least) one host controller, mass storage devices and USB
keyboards.

- Generic USB interfaces
- Host controller driver (OHCI, UHCI or EHCI)
- USB Mass-storage support
- HID support for USB keyboards

--
Marco