grub-devel

Re: Latest kernel shown at last

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: Latest kernel shown at last
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:46:12 +0100

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 02:10:18AM -0500, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> I was thinking of fixing it, but I'm not sure it can even be done in
> shell script.  We may need to write a helper in C just for that, or
> resort to bashisms.

Btw, the old update-grub that Debian put in GRUB Legacy package has code to do
this in shell (without bashisms I think).  It's a 61-line function.

Getting the paperwork for this is out of the question, but I could describe in
plain English what are the heuristics that it applies if someone else is willing
to implement them.

Note that the heuristics in that script are highly valuable, since they're known
to produce good results over a very long period of time.

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)