grub-devel

Re: grub2 and Linux software RAID devices

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: grub2 and Linux software RAID devices
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:38:50 +0100

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:44:38AM +0000, Sam Morris wrote:

> Ouch... I have never tried /boot on LVM myself (since grub legacy can't
> handle it). However /boot on RAID works fine, I suggest you try that
> instead.

Ah, I see.  What remains puzzling is how do other people manage to boot from
/boot on LVM (we had reports about that).

> It's pretty simple, assuming you are using d-i. When partitioning,
> configure two disks with identical partition layouts (a single partition
> on each is sufficient). Then, tell partman that you want to use them as
> 'physical volumes for RAID'. A new option should appear, 'configure
> RAID' (or something similar). Here you can create a RAID1 array using
> both the partitions, which you can use as an ext3 filesystem, mounted
> at /.

Thank you.  I'll try this as soon I get a free minute.

> >> Jeroen Dekkers previously suggested a patch to suppress the 'out of
> >> disk' error, at
> >> <http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg02873.html> but no
> >> one ever committed it.
> >
> > Ah, I see.  The patch looks correct to me;  only the description you
> > gave before isn't.
>
> Hmm, I don't understand the difference between your changelog entry and
> my description, but ok. :)

You said unsetting grub_errno ensured the iteration is not stopped, but
grub_errno has no effect on GRUB iterators, only the return value does.

--
Robert Millan

<DRM> What use is a phone call… if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)