grub-devel

Re: Status of ATA support

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: Status of ATA support
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:21:38 +0200

Marco Gerards wrote:
> First of all, this is mainly for i386-linuxbios.  On i386-pc we have
> to disable biosdisk support because ata.mod and biosdisk.mod do not
> like eachother :-).  Perhaps disk access via the BIOS will not be
> possible/safe anymore after loading ata.mod.

We have to make sure we are not using BIOS for accessing disk after that
point. And ATA controller should be at stable state after resuming
normal operations OR we install custom int13h handler. Actually you
could try to determine what devices are handled by biosdisk and what are
not. EDD supports some queries that report on what controller disk comes
from.