grub-devel

Improving the website about GRUB 2 development

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Improving the website about GRUB 2 development
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:19:34 +0100

Hi,

On the website there is no information about how to send in patches
(so improving in the title is a bit of an understatement ;)).  I think
we should add a page with information about patches that are sent in.
That saves us some times to comment on obvious problems with a patch.
But more importantly, this will save much time for the developer
sending in the patch.

There are several things I would like to mention on this page:

1) GCS/Changelogs/Coding Style

We can even duplicate some things from the GCS that are the most
important.  I can't blame anyone for sending in a patch that doesn't
match our coding style.  It isn't obvious from the website.  On the
other hand, we have a coding style and I think we should use it.

2) Copyrights

We might want to mention that we ask people to assign their copyrights
or sign a disclaimer.  If people know it will be asked, it won't scare
them away.  Or if it is a serious problem for them, people won't waste
time writing a patch that can't be included.  I am willing to put my
address there as a contact person in case people would like to ask
questions about this privately.

We should also write something about code from 3rd parties and about
looking at code from other parties and thus cause copyright issues.

3) How to send in patches.

At the moment patches will be sent to the mailinglist.  We have to
mention we like a Changelog and an inlined patch, as attachment is
ok.  No generated files, big patches are ok.

4) Reviewing

Reality is that we do not have the manpower to review the patch in a
few days.  If we mention this, it won't come as a surprise.

5) Focus

Url to the todo list, bug list and an url to a site which states the
priorities for the next release.

If we put this on a website in a friendly and attractive way, we might
get more contributions.  I think the current lack of information
causes problems to us.  What do you guys think?  Did I miss something,
or am I over enthusiastic?

--
Marco