grub-devel

Re: status of VGA terminal

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: status of VGA terminal
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:33:49 +0300

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 10:37:16AM +0300, Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:
>> Robert Millan wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Anyone knows what's the status of vga.c ?  It's currently disabled in the
>>> build
>>> system.  I reenabled and got it to build again (see attached patch), but it
>>> just displays garbage.
>>>
>>> Is it intended to be integrated with gfxterm?
>> If you want to make video driver for it then and keep it up-to-date,
>> otherwise no. Personally I have no intention to work on it. It displays
>> garbage because font system has changed... and will be changed again in
>> future once there is vector font support. For that I think font blitter
>> goes away and new bitmap blitter (or old one) is used.
>>
>> Question how to scale to different display sizes hasn't been solved
>> either... This is the main reason for vector fonts, scaling bitmap fonts
>> just gets really ugly.
>
> Ok, when I have some time I'll try making it a video driver then.
>
> In the meantime, should we remove it from CVS ?  It will have to be removed
> anyway since video drivers don't belong in term/.

Well it is vga terminal :). Implements terminal interface at the moment.
Just being a bit rotten... That is the reason why it is disabled. That
being said, if there would be really a vga video driver then that would
definitely need to be placed elsewhere. If you just remove it from CVS
it will most likely be forgotten and base code will be "lost".

You are of course free to do as you wish with vga terminal. I have no
objections on its removal.