grub-devel

Re: Moving to another SCM

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Moving to another SCM
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 23:58:44 +0200

At Tue, 22 May 2007 20:52:58 +0200,
Robert Millan wrote:

> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 03:38:47PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to ask if GRUB is planning to move to another SCM?
> >
> > I've been using GIT for a while and it looks great for the kinda of
> > work done at GRUB since there're a lot of people working together and
> > sometimes a feature need some time to get mature enough to be merged
> > in and this fits very well how GIT is used.
> >
> > There's any plans for it? What's the options that current developers
> > have in mind?
>
> I'm not very familiar with GIT, although my understanding is that it has
> advantages related to branching and also a nice regression test feature.
>
> Also, for distributors for Debian, it seems to be useful since the Debian
> package can be considered a branch from official GRUB in the SCM itself.
>
> Anyway, I find CVS very awkward to work with.  I tend to agree with Otavio
> that a change would be a good thing (be it to git, svn...).

You get used to it over the years. :-) But we should switch to
something else yes.

The savannah admins are working on supporting svn and git:
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/WhenSvN and
https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Git

It will depend on when savannah starts offering it when we can switch.

Jeroen Dekkers