grub-devel

Re: gettext

From: Vesa Jääskeläinen
Subject: Re: gettext
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 11:09:12 +0300

Robert Millan wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 07:30:26PM +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
>> - what should be done if a terminal is not capable of displaying most
>> characters (falling back to original messages? just displaying garbage?)
>
> I think update-grub should detect wether the system locale is using utf-8,
> and if not, set it to C.  It can also detect whether gfxterm is being
> enabled.
>
> For users writing grub.cfg by hand, it's their responsability to enable
> gfxterm/whatever if they put utf-8 chars in it.

Just a note that as character set is Unicode based it could be possible
that some glyphs are not included in fonts. So either we just try to
draw it with specified glyph (and get dummy glyph) or it should be
detected by some party and just use glyphs that are included. Actually
it is also possible to have 0 glyphs loaded ;). I am not so sure is this
so nice, but thats the current state.