grub-devel

Re: My Summer of Code Project

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: My Summer of Code Project
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 14:33:31 +0200

Devils-Hawk <address@hidden> writes:

> You should probably have a look at http://www.linuxbios.org/FILO maybe
> you can salvage something. FILO supports booting from ElTorito bootable
> CD media, uses 32-bit mode, and it is free of bios calls. Unfortunately
> its x86 only, although some work has been done to get it running on PPC.

Hah!  There is even a better project to look at ;-)

http://code.google.com/soc/coresystems/appinfo.html?csaid=A64F3E060F47221

It is not yet completed, but these two projects have a great overlap.

That said, I know that for summer of code (I am a student with a SoC
project myself, although I won't work on GRUB 2) it's about writing
code.  It is not a problem if code is duplicated, although you can
better talk about this with Jeroen and Okuji because they are the
mentors.  As maintainer I just prefer the best code and the biggest
amount of features and maintainability.

Don't be afraid to write an IDE driver yourself.  I do not think it is
*that* hard.  I estimate it takes you just a few weeks when you are
completely unexperienced.  There is a lot of documentation about this
and you are certainly not the first person working on this.

--
Marco