grub-devel

Re: disk vs partition numbering

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: disk vs partition numbering
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:00:15 +0100

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 09:14, James Lockie wrote:
> I take that back, software should work without having to read the
> manual, grub legacy was NOT like that for me.

Exactly. It is ideal that one can use software without reading a manual
appropriately. The reality is different, but we should make effort to get
closer to this goal.

> Maybe grub should use the way of designating a disk/partition in the
> same way as what OS it is running on?
> Yes, being different for each OS. :-)

Unfortunately, this would cause strange behaviors. For example, suppose that
you have installed GRUB into a floppy or CD-R. When you bring it to another
computer, how should GRUB behave? Mimic the operating system on which GRUB
was installed? Mimic the operating system the user is trying to boot? If you
have multiple operating systems installed, which one???

Okuji