grub-devel

Re: ping (update-grub2)

From: Vincent Pelletier
Subject: Re: ping (update-grub2)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 23:20:06 +0100

Le lundi 27 novembre 2006 18:00, Robert Millan a écrit :
> No comments?  Are you interested in getting this into the main grub tree?
> In my opinion, since update-grub needs a rewrite it's a good oportunity to
> merge this now and unify grub.cfg generation across distributions
> (something that wasn't possible with the old update-grub because of
> copyright issues).
>
> That said, if you don't like the idea then we could proceed adding it in
> debian, but that might close the door to merging in the future (maintaining
> the script in debian ourselves implies accepting contributions from many
> people without any paperwork arrangements).

Personally, the way update-grub works on all my applicable debian installs
suits me perfectly.

But as Declan said, it's bad to overwrite the file...
I wonder if it could become just a generation of a file which would be
included (or not) by the "main" config file.
If that main config file does not exist at all, it could be generated - unless
we consider that a user might want not to have a config file at all.

I don't know if the current scripting allows this, I haven't put an eye on it
for a looong time.

Another idea, which I just had while writing this mail :

What about putting the .d directory in /boot(/grub) and implementing a
mechanism in grub to be able to handle such configuration directory ?
My idea is about multi-OS (multi-distro, whatever) users, which have to
privilege one among and merge the boot possibilities - by hand most probably.
If this offers a common way of storing boot entries, it can solve that
problem.

In my idea, I would go even further by suggesting a non grub-specific way of
doing so, allowing to switch bootloaders which would support such
configuration layouts. But I guess few people are ready to spend much effort
in making boot loaders compatible one with the other...

--
Vincent Pelletier