grub-devel

Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 33, Issue 19

From: Joe Bonasera
Subject: Re: Grub-devel Digest, Vol 33, Issue 19
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:55:53 -0800

address@hidden wrote:

Just to be clear. For grub2 on x86, will it be true that there is only
a single grub2 binary that understands both elf32 and elf64?

Yes.

Would the different tags i86-pc vs x86_64 (if any) be determined by
knowing if which type elf gets loaded?

My personal opinion is that we should not pass any information to the
kernel about what format it is provided in.

I agree about that, the OS should intrinsically know it's own format. :)

However, it shouldn't have to figure out what format the data passed
to it from the boot loader is in. If I boot a 32 bit kernel on a
64 bit capable platform/boot loader, the 32 bit kernel shouldn't have to
deal with figuring out if it's getting 32 or 64 bit information from
the boot loader.

I think it's pretty common for people to install both 32 and 64 bit
OS mixes on a single box. (I'm composing this on a machine that can
boot either 32 bit windows, 32 bit Suse, 64bit Fedora, 32 or 64 bit
Solaris partitions) all from one copy of grub and one copy of menu.lst.

If the image is an ELF64, it will be loaded as an ELF64.  So in your
case, for x86_64 hosts, provide the kernel as an ELF64 image.  For
IA-32, provide an ELF32 image.

Requiring that would be a big restriction from grub 0.9x, where the multiboot
info passed to the booted OS is always in a fixed 32 bit format. Making that
information
(the "Multiboot Information Format" section of
http://grub.enbug.org/MultibootDraft)
variant based hardware capability would greatly complicate the OS side of
things.
Specifically a 32 bit OS would have to be able to decode both 32 and 64 bit
versions of the data. Yuck. If grub2 really needs to make the
format/content variant, I would much rather see it vary based on the
target OS type. Or better yet, just always use the larger size data
types/content -
even for 32 bit booting.

Joe

~j