grub-devel

Re: OpenSolaris and multiboot

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: OpenSolaris and multiboot
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:58:27 -0600

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 10:41 +0100, Johan Rydberg wrote:
> Joe Bonasera <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Would the different tags i86-pc vs x86_64 (if any) be determined by
> > knowing if which type elf gets loaded?
>
> My personal opinion is that we should not pass any information to the
> kernel about what format it is provided in.
>
> If the image is an ELF64, it will be loaded as an ELF64.  So in your
> case, for x86_64 hosts, provide the kernel as an ELF64 image.  For
> IA-32, provide an ELF32 image.

I think he's referring to the "architecture-specific" tags (which are
currently not fleshed out in the spec). There are different sections for
x86 and x86-64, and it is a good question about when each is used.

I'm really not sure what would be different about the two sets, but if
there are differences, the ELF class seems like a reasonable way to
decide which to use.

-Hollis