grub-devel

Re: how to increase commandline size (patch + changelog)

From: Jeff Chua
Subject: Re: how to increase commandline size (patch + changelog)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:01:24 +0800 (SGT)

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Marco Gerards wrote:

Isn't it possible to use the kernel binary to determine this?  For
example, is the maximum commandline size stored somewhere?  Perhaps,
we can determine it by looking at some version field?  According to
the documentation it is has a maximum length of 255 bytes for every
Linux version:

But, user can overwrite this to expand the commandline. It's documented, and tested. See http://www.x86-64.org/lists/discuss/msg06193.html

I don't want the loader to rely on being compiled on GNU/Linux.  GRUB
2, when compiled on *BSD, should be capable of loading Linux just as
GRUB 2 compiled on GNU/Linux would.

Agree. So, standard 255 is ok, but then it'll be nice to allow user to
compile "grub2" to expand the commandline. I don't know whether any distributions expand more than 255 characters.

Thanks,
Jeff.