grub-devel

MBR management

From: Vladimir Serbinenko
Subject: MBR management
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:20:21 +0200

Hello. I'm back after long time of inactivity. I would like to expose my idea: Many of commercial OS have some weird conditions on where they are installed (e.g. it must be installed on primary active partiotion, ...)
and what we can do is
1st possibility: function that transform primary<-> logical like:
logical->primary: hang it simply at MBR
inverse: create a extended table and hang it on this table (operation is only possible if there is some place before the partition but it's always the case with partitions transformed from logical) 2nd possibility. Add grub extended partition table (e.g. on last sector of first track) containing "hidden" partitions that can be transformed in primary and inverse Pros: primary partition is on the cylinder boundary (does any OS really depend on this?) and extended partition contains no primary partition within it (is it really important) Cons: "empty" space can be emdommaged by partition tools but we can add this partition support to parted
3rd possibility 1st+2nd
I made some proof of concept coding with grub1 (it was some time ago) but one problem is that grub numbers partitions depending on its logical state (so theese operations would change numbering). Possible solutions that I see
1) change partition numbering so that it numbers them in physical order
1a) keep both numbering (e.g. (hd0,0) and (hd0,p0))
2) partition labels
3) save original partition numbering
4) keep the things like they are and let the scripts handle theese situations
5) Your porposals?

Yours, phcoder