grub-devel

Re: GRUB2 netboot development

From: vincent guffens
Subject: Re: GRUB2 netboot development
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 10:23:19 +0100

Rudy Attias wrote:

> Netboot is taking a different direction? I'm curious about that, can you
> give some details?

yes, grub legacy also used the drivers from Etherboot and it was
reported not be easily manageable. When Etherboot developpers decide to
change something, the glue code written in grub might have to change too
and so grub developper must constantly track these changes. Also, this
messy glue code is not particularly elegant and is not very funny to
program. It does not seem to me that it would happen too often but it
will happen and I don't have the experience that developpers from grub
legacy have.

So now the idea is to have a unique UNDI driver or maybe to find a way
to call into etherboot and come back into grub if the PXE/UNDI is not
supported. For the moment it is not clear for anyone I think how calling
into etherboot would be done.