grub-devel

Re: grub cvs ... configfile

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: grub cvs ... configfile
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 05:26:43 +0200

On Thursday 20 April 2006 04:53, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> Offering multiple commands that do the same thing is not a good design
> philosphy, and from the other comments on this subject I know I'm not
> alone in that belief. No offense, but I don't think one developer
> liking it is a good enough reason.

I'm not alone, either. I have talked about this with my collegue in PUPA, and
he agreed with me.

I'd like to know why it is a bad phylosophy. In many systems, aliases are
often provided for convenience. Look at test and [. Look at true and :. Short
cuts are also a kind of aliases. I don't see anything wrong with this. "There
should be only one way to do a thing" is Python's phylosophy, but Perl
developers wouldn't agree with you.

Of course, "I like it" is not a good reason. But menuentry is too long to
type. This is good enough for me.

Okuji