grub-devel

Re: [ppc patch] link with -m32

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: [ppc patch] link with -m32
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 00:27:53 -0500

On Apr 14, 2006, at 11:06 PM, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

Some 64-bit PowerPC compilers default to 64-bit output. Right now we're building all the object files with -m32, but then the linker complains when it tries to link a 64-bit grubof. We need to add -m32 to LDFLAGS as well as CFLAGS.

Hmm, I didn't notice the error messages this caused. -m32 is a gcc flag, not an ld flag. However, there's some confusion about LDFLAGS and CFLAGS in genmk.rb (and conf/*.rmk). In particular, you cannot do $(CC) $(LDFLAGS), and you cannot do $(LD) $(CFLAGS).

There is also confusion about which *FLAGS are used to build which targets. I've been investigating, but in the meantime this patch won't work.

Having dug through this for the past couple hours, I'm considering rewriting the Makefiles using plain make (i.e. no generating scripts). Thoughts?

-Hollis