grub-devel

Re: mkfs command in grub

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: mkfs command in grub
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 15:37:13 +0100

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Friday 10 March 2006 21:44, Marco Gerards wrote:
>> I think it is easy to implement this feature, and agree it might be
>> useful in the cases you described.  I wonder how the other developers
>> think about including such feature.
>
> For me, this kind of feature is an OS's task rather than a boot loader's.
> Boot
> loaders should concentrate on booting up operation systems, and the other
> tasks should be left to each operation system. Making a filesystem is not
> related to booting, since newly created filesystems contain no boot
> information.

Unfortunately the rationale behind this idea was not in the original
email.

The main reason for this feature request was that swap space can be
shared between windows and GNU/Linux this way.  So you can make a fat
filesystem when booting windows and a swap filesystem when booting
GNU/Linux.  Although this is not something really important for us, I
do see the use of such feature.

--
Marco