grub-devel

Re: Nested Function Patches

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Nested Function Patches
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 16:06:03 +0100

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 09:08 am, Peter Jones wrote:
> That's taking the very unrealistic point of view that using nested
> functions isn't broken.  It is, in a great many ways which have already
> been discussed in depth, and which you've, rather disturbingly, chosen
> to ignore.  Using "features" which require an executable stack is still
> just a bad idea.
>
> It's too bad that the grub project has chosen to ignore the pragmatic
> implications of code structure and style.

I'm sick of your FUD. If you are an engineer or programmer, show a technical
reason. All you have mentioned are:

- Red Hat does not ship programs with nested functions

- You feel that it is safer

- Everybody is going to disable executable stacks

Where is such a discussion in depth? Is this time before renaissance?

I understand the behavior of Red Hat, since Red Hat is after all a commercial
entity, so it must make business from marketing point of view. But GRUB is
not tied with such an activity. We are open to opinions, but you should not
insult the project or the members only because our technical decision is not
compatible with your own desire.

Okuji