grub-devel

module references

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: module references
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:58:40 -0600

Right now I'm getting a lot of these:
        ../fs/affs.c: In function `grub_mod_init':
        ../fs/affs.c:556: warning: unused parameter `mod'
... in fact, one for every GRUB_MOD_INIT in fs/ and partmap/, it seems.

This led me to examine the module reference counting system. Most filesystems don't do anything more than set a "my_mod" global variable, and never use it. fat.c, on the other hand, seems to actually be trying to use a refcount.

Are modules ever automatically unloaded? When? If so, we need a lot more reference counting. If not, we've got some unnecessary complexity we should remove.

-Hollis