grub-devel

Re: GRUB && DEFRAG (HELP) IT IS NOT SPAM

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: GRUB && DEFRAG (HELP) IT IS NOT SPAM
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:57:55 +0100

Alexandre Borges <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Alexandre,

> My name's Alexandre Borges from Rio de Janeiro (Brazil).
> I'm working in a defrag for linux/ext2.
> Could you say me a easy way to identify which files I must to preserve when
> defragging?

GRUB accesses the filesystem and does not use some block list.  GRUB
itself is stored in the MBR and some sectors following the MBR.  This
is enough to load the rest of GRUB from the filesystem.

So in case GRUB is used defragmenting doesn't hurt.

I wonder why you want to defragment an ext2.  In case you make sure
you don't fill up the entire disk, the filesystem won't be that badly
fragmented.  Most filesystems, like ext2, have special measures to
prevent severe external fragmentation.

--
Marco