grub-devel

[DISCUSSION] Grub2 Improvements

From: address@hidden
Subject: [DISCUSSION] Grub2 Improvements
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:27:21 +0200

-----Original Message-----
> Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:54:11 +0200
> Subject: Re: [DISCUSSION] Scripts and menus
> From: Douglas Wade Needham <address@hidden>
> To: The development of GRUB 2 <address@hidden>

> Quoting Yoshinori K. Okuji (address@hidden):
> > On Sunday 14 August 2005 15:29, Douglas Wade Needham wrote:
> > > BTW...If 1.9 is supposed to be indicating that we are nearing a
> > > 2.0 release, I don't think that now would be the time for such a
> > > major change.  After nearly 30 years of programming, one of the
> > > problems I have seen in too many Open Source projects is that a
> > > release cycle is supposedly started, but...
> > >

> > Do not care about the version number. For now, GRUB 2 is at an alpha
> > stage.
> > Rather, you must not stop thinking how to improve GRUB 2. So I
> > appreciate that Vladimir is thinking various possibilities.
> >
> > Possibly, we will have to begin stabilizing GRUB 2 in near future,
> > maybe in 6 months. Once we decide this, we should not make any
> > (user-visible) incompatible change, because the requirement for a
> > boot loader is more severe than other software. So, reversely, we
> > should consider what we can change as much as possible at this
> > moment. If we miss this occasion, the next chance is GRUB 3.
> >

> I agree that we should not continue to think about improvements, etc.
> However, if we are talking alpha/beta/rc stages, then we should be
> talking about a release branch, into which we only put controlled
> changes.  Otherwise, we will not get the stability during testing, and
> the end result will likely be far from what we want, either in time or
> in quality.

I would agree with this. We should have a stable basis on which we can
improve grub2. There are so many improvments, e.g. vesafb module and
many others, and later a graphical menu, but we dont have a structure
for a menu entry (or a stable). Other modules/improvement uses this
basis and when this basis changes, parts of grub2/modules must be
rewritten to fit to the basis. We should create a list of improvments
(all the improvments which occurs in the list) and set priorities. We
should cralify which improvements apear in the next release and which
not, ...
BTW I have successfully compiled grub2 on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE, but
havent tested it completely.