grub-devel

Re: vesafb terminal for testing.

From: Vladimir Serbinenko
Subject: Re: vesafb terminal for testing.
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:47:44 +0200

Vesa Jääskeläinen wrote:

>I can try to draft out features that I think is needed and then we can
>

>see what is still missing and when it is good enough then implement it.

But we need to let the room for the future growth. One of far-looking
plans is
"eye-candy" menu interface and we don't know yet what we will put there.
Then
if somebody wants to implement icon-based menu (icon+label for each menu
entry,
choosing with mouse and so on) he should be able to do so without
changing the
video interface function. Perhaps we should make abstract drawing interface?
If so IMHO we should take one of existing drawing interfaces like the base
(but of course it's not necessary to implement all features of the base
interfaces,
just the basic ones)

>// functions
>grub_vbe_probe
>grub_vbe_set_mode
>grub_vbe_get_mode
>grub_vbe_get_mode_info
>
>// global variables
>struct grub_vbe_info_block grub_vbe_controller_info;
>struct grub_vbe_mode_info_block grub_vbe_active_mode_info;
>
>And perhaps some others if there is a need.

I'm very opposite because it's not critical for booting and it will take
place and place in kernel is critical (at least for i386). It could be
separate
modules (e.g. vesafb and vesainfo) but it must be a module. If multiboot
needs
it. It can just reference it like a dependency

   Vladimir