grub-devel

Re: GRUB 1.90 is released

From: Vladimir Serbinenko
Subject: Re: GRUB 1.90 is released
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 09:47:50 +0200

Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:

>Do you mean 80386? Of course, no. I don't have such an old CPU.

But some people use old PC like a home servers. But 80386 I
suppose is not very used because it can't have more than a few
hundred Mb hard disk, which is important criteria for home server,
more important than CPU.

>AFAIK, this problem may happen only in a certain model of 80386, and there is
>no way to make sure to invalidate the cache in 80386. So we have nothing to
>do with this.

Perhaps if we read a huge block of memory it will do the trick?

>BTW, why do you say 2 microseconds? Where does this come from?

outb    %al, $0x80
In documentation it's written that it causes a wait of 1 microsecond

On the same page it's written that some laptops have the problem with
0x0 and 0x100000 addresses. Perhaps we should move the test address?

                                    Vladimir