grub-devel

Re: problem with NESTED_FUNC_ATTR : unaligned pointer

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: problem with NESTED_FUNC_ATTR : unaligned pointer
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:48:59 +0200

I investigated this problem. Actually, there were two problems:

- The test didn't detect bugs in gcc-3.4 or gcc-4.0.

- The check was reverse. This is my mistake.

I tried to rewrite the test program, and found a way to detect the bug in
gcc-3.4. However, I still do not find a simple way to detect the bug in
gcc-4.0. So, for now, the workaround is always enabled, regardless of the
result of the test.

The difficulty is that recent GCC is "too clever" in a sense. So it emits code
trimmed down very much when a program is simple. But clearly gcc-4.0 has the
same bug as older versions with the file ext2.c, so there must be a way to
detect the bug in a simple way.

Okuji