grub-devel

Re: arch-specific files

From: Hollis Blanchard
Subject: Re: arch-specific files
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 09:05:10 -0500

On Aug 9, 2005, at 8:23 AM, Marco Gerards wrote:

"Yoshinori K. Okuji" <address@hidden> writes:

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 05:37, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
Since "of" is a very common English word, it is not a good file or
variable name. We have standardized on the full "ieee1275" for both, so
I have renamed this file.

OK. That makes sense. Just a question: why do we still use "of" in some places
then? Like ofconsole.c. Why isn't it just console.c?

It can be renamed if you think it is important..  I have chosen this
name in case another type of console is required for powerpc/ieee1275.
For example on the old world mac there is no console support in open
firmware AFAIK.  But the old world port related things do belong in
powerpc/ieee1275.

That's not true; Old World Macs do have some sort of console support. The problems are varied: some systems don't have a working video driver (but if you know what you're doing, you can use the serial ports). Other systems default to the serial ports, so a user expecting an interface on their monitor will be disappointed. But technically these are not console driver issues.

I agree that "ofconsole" is named inconsistently.

-Hollis